by simon baird

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

books

i finished the world according to garp last night. it became unputdownable after the 'incident' (it's about two thirds through). the ending is wrenching, if not perfect. i've been thinking about it all day. it's good. and I don't know really but I think it must have been significant to feminists in the late 70s when it was published. I don't think I want to see the movie though. robin williams as garp. john lithgow as roberta, well okay. glen close? she could be good. I'm trying to read Irving in chronological order, but I screwed up slightly by reading Saving Piggy Snead (which includes The Pension Grillparzer) before Garp. But never mind that. Next: Hotel New Hampshire. (I vaguely recall enjoying that movie. Young Jodie Foster and young Rob Lowe. Hopefully it won't spoil the book). And next after that: Cider House Rules. (I'm certain I don't want to see that movie. The Spiderman guy...). John Irving (wikipedia link). (just one link, okay..? ;) Check out the recurring themes matrix...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I am too late, but please abandon your plan to read the hotel new hampshire. Unless you do I will ring you up and spoil the plot. It is a truely awful book. I goes nowhere and does nothing and has nothing redeeming to say in between!