What is it?
It's an online Mandelbrot set fractal viewer using the Google Maps API.
Hasn't that been done before?
Not that I'm aware of.
Things to try
- Double click zooming
- Mouse wheel
- Dragging the mini-map
- Dragging the blue square on the mini-map
- Implement "bookmark/link to this view...
- Better and deeper rendering. I'm using fractint (the finest fractal generator for the Intel 386 running DOS) and an antialias/size reduction method that I prefer not to mention. Hence the tiles are 256 colour gifs. I'm guessing 24 bit colour pngs would be a lot better but I can't find a free renderer that I can use in batch mode. Anyone want to help me with this? I suppose writing my own would be one solution.
- Different palettes
- Other fractals
- Show co-ordinates in some way. A layer?
- Make grey background in map into black somehow
- Start a blog?
I'm letting the domain name expire. The new url is this http://randomibis.com/fractalmapr/.