by simon baird

Sunday, April 13, 2008

heartwarming tales of the great south east #1

I'm driving across Brisbane with Milly. I'm following the car ahead of me since it has the sat nav and I'm from Townsville and don't know my way anywhere. The car ahead goes through a pretty stale orange light. Not wanting to get separated, I swear, accelerate and make it thought just after it changes to red. About thirty seconds later a police car appears in my rear view mirror and flashes his lights. Perhaps he buzzed his buzzer, I can't remember. I find a place to pull over, and mentally prepare to get slugged with a $150 fine and three points (or whatever it is). The cop comes over and introduces himself. I apologise and explain the situation. Milly mentions we're just little 'ol Townsvillers visiting the big smoke (not in those words exactly). The cop says, oh yeah, that happens to me all the time, don't worry about it, have a nice day. We drive off smiling and feeling a lot of warmth towards the South East Queensland Police Force. We find our lead car who'd pulled off onto a side street to wait.