by simon baird

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

read this about a blind user's iphone experience

"Can he get text messages on this?" she asked. "Well, yes, but it doesn't read the message." the salesman said. Mom's hopes sunk, but mine didn't, since I understood the software enough. "Well, let's see, try it." I suggested. She pulled out her phone, and sent me a text message. Within seconds, my phone alerted me, and said her name. I simply swiped my finger and it read her message: Hi Austin. She almost cried.

Someone should get this kid an iPad:
Adding the ability to touch anywhere on the screen and hear it adds a whole other dimension, literally. For the first time, the blind can actually get spacial information about something. In the store, Mom could say "Try that button" and I could. Blind people know what I mean. How many times has a sighted person said "I see an icon at the top of the screen?" Now, that actually Means something. I want to find a way to browse the web with a touchpad on my computer. 

His vision is very poor but he can see light and shadow. He finds an app that names colours using the camera and it causes him to start becoming more aware of colours:
The next day, I went outside. I looked at the sky. I heard colors such as "Horizon," "Outer Space," and many shades of blue and gray. I used color cues to find my pumpkin plants, by looking for the green among the brown and stone. I spent ten minutes looking at my pumpkin plants, with their leaves of green and lemon-ginger. I then roamed my yard, and saw a blue flower. I then found the brown shed, and returned to the gray house. My mind felt blown.

Read the article here:
http://behindthecurtain.us/2010/06/12/my-first-week-with-the-iphone/


Update: He did get an iPad. And then a Macbook:
http://behindthecurtain.us/2010/09/11/rejoining-the-apple-family/

(via gruber, via phil)


No comments: